Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Critter Caper Update

The suet feeder has been found ... empty, of course. The critter that stole it cleaned that suet feeder better than I ever had.

Pat was sure that a squirrel had "squirreled" the suet feeder away, which meant that he was sure that it could be found up the hill behind the house. I wasn't so sure about that since I haven't seen a squirrel at the feeders all year (I have no idea where they have gone). Since I was determined to find it, I put on my hiking boots Friday afternoon and headed up the hill. Sure enough, I found it up the hill a ways.

Now my problem was how to attach the feeder, so it wouldn't be stolen again. I rummaged around until I found a chain that I had used to hang one of my hanging baskets last year. I was reminded of banks and how they chained up their pens ... so people could use them, but not steal them.

The feeder is now hanging back in the tree. It's close enough to the trunk that the squirrels (or raccoons) can easily reach it. Another benefit that I've discovered is that since it easily swings on the chain, only the smaller birds are using it ... and not the Bluejays or the Cardinals. That means that at least that suet will last a bit longer. The other suet feeder keeps ending up on the ground each morning ... empty, of course.



From Simpli-Country

FEBRUARY 24 MORNING UPDATE: I was a bit too optimistic about the suet lasting longer in the smaller mesh feeder. Whatever critter stole the suet feeder, emptied it during the night. I had to refill both of them this morning.

I was a bit late getting up this morning and refilling the feeders, so the Titmouses (or is it Titmice) were already getting the fresh suet I made last night off the porch (I had put it outside in the cold to cool and harden up overnight).

No comments:

Post a Comment