Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Glorious Winter Day

From Simpli-Country
I was born and raised in South Texas. I rarely experienced freezing temperatures in the winter, much less snow and ice. Which means that living in mid-west has been quite an adjustment for this South Texas Gal. I didn't make my first snow angel until I was 50 and I've yet to build a snowman. While snow has been a delight in some ways ... it's beautiful to look at when you are cozy and warm ... it's also been a challenge for me to learn how to deal with it.

I never thought I'd look forward to 50 degrees with pleasure and anticipation. After all, where I come from that was sweater weather and downright cold. At 50 degrees we cranked up the heaters and made a pot of soup, stew or chili. Yet these days 50 degrees are a great excuse to get outside. So, if nothing else, winters here have taught me to celebrate the good days.

Today was not just a good day, it was one of those great days when I couldn't wait to get outside. Instead of the "normal" high of 40, it managed to get up to 72 here in our valley (it was in the mid-60's in the closest town). One of the blessings of living in the valley is that it is often warmer than the surrounding area, which is also a bit of a drawback in the summer and in the winter when it gets colder at night.

The weatherman this morning was saying a front is headed for us this weekend. There is a possibility of snow on Saturday and then on Monday. With that kind of prediction, I know I have to enjoy the weather while I can.

The first things I did this morning was open the doors and windows. I also quartered a chicken and put on marinade for the grill. I cook every day, but on the warmer days of winter (50 degrees and up), I can't resist getting outside and grilling. It gives me an excuse to be outside. Once Pat woke up, I headed outside to fire up the grill and to clean off the patio table. Good days were meant to eat outside and enjoy the sunshine. It's good for the digestion and the food always seems to taste better when eaten out of doors ... at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I wasn't the only one out and about on this beautiful winter day. A bee buzzed Pat and I while we were keeping an eye on the chicken ... actually we were soaking up the sun. I also saw a small butterfly in the front yard when I went to clean the table. The birds were singing their hearts out in the trees while we ate and flying all around the yard, probably looking for any insect that out enjoying the warmer temperatures.

I honestly meant to do chores once Pat left for work this afternoon. I did get a number of the outside chores done. Well, ok, maybe it was just two ... I took the trash out and got another wheelbarrow load of wood in for the wood burner. I really meant to clean the sliding glass doors and the windows (a good job for warm days), but as I took the trash out to the road, I noticed the tulips were starting to poke their heads up to see if it was safe to come out. The daffodils and crocus were doing the same. The red maple was starting to bud. It made quite a sight when a cardinal landed among its branches.

The beautiful day was just too much for me ... chores could wait ... the lure of the woods was calling to me. I head inside to grab my camera, put on my old shoes and, before you know it, I'm on my way to wander out back. Like a kid, I stop and play in the creek that runs along the border of the clearing behind the house. A bunch of leaves are slowing the creek down, so I free them and the water begins to faster. The creek is full of beautiful quartz rock, so I look around and collect some rocks by the creek. I'll take them home later to add to my collection. As I do so, I hear rustling of leaves up the hill and a squirrel starts to scold me for being in HIS territory.

From Simpli-Country
Eventually I start to wander on, following the creek. I watch the ground for tracks and spot deer and raccoon tracks. I pause from time to time to listen and look at the creek as it slowly meanders down through the valley. Coming out of the trees, I stop by the back clearing where Pat and I planted winter rye. It's pretty much gone. The deer have eaten it down the ground. Soon we will be planting it again ... maybe we'll do sunflowers again this year. Last year's field was a beautiful sight with all the yellow blooms.

Heading on, I leave the clearing to wander through the woods ... up the trail toward the salt block that Pat put at the back of the property. The ground is thawing, so I carefully watch my step, so I don't end up stepping in a river of mud. A sound up ahead makes me look up to see three white tails waving as the deer hurry away. I must not have startled them too much as they didn't bark at me.

From Simpli-Country
Before I know it, I'm back at the creek and also at the fence that borders the State Park at the back of the property. I take the creek and start to follow it back. Another squirrel is up ahead. He sees me, but he's not too alarmed and goes from tree to tree, then down the tree and across the creek, only to climb up another tree and jump across the creek. I watch him until he is out of sight, then continue down the creek bed.

As I travel, I think how lucky I am that I'm short. I can travel the creek bed with relative ease. I can bend down and go under most of the low branches. Even so, a few lower branches and wild roses runners grab at me as I follow the creek.

I find a couple of really nice quartz rocks ... one white and one red ... for my collection. Since I'm not sure I will find them again when spring leafs out the area, I carry them with me. As I travel on, I think about the people in the city who carry weights when they go for a brisk walk and smile. I am exercising ... country style.

From Simpli-Country
Before I know it, I'm back at the path to home. Crossing the creek once again, I look up the valley but can't spot the smoke from home. The breeze is coming from the south. Ever so slowly, I walk on home, arriving shortly after the sun hides behind the hill and before the outside light comes on. I'm home ... muddy shoes and all ... a bit scratched up from the roses and with a few twigs in my hair. Finding the twigs, I smile thinking of how many times in the past year Pat's has picked twigs out of my hair for me.

Since the sun is going down, it's getting cooler, but I still can't make myself go inside. I close up the garage, check the wood burner and then sit in the rocking chair on the porch to watch the sunset and the birds come in for a final meal before roosting for the night.

It's been a glorious winter day. I can hardly wait for the next one ... maybe I'll get the doors and windows clean then ... or maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment