Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cooking

I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately and several instances this week seems to have brought it more to the front of my mind. I’m not sure if it is my German heritage, my aunt’s influence, or being a Texan, but I’ve always loved to cook and feed those around me. Perhaps it is none of the above, perhaps it is just one way that I show my love.

I learned to cook when I was about 8 years old. Up until that time, my maternal grandmother cooked for my mother, father, brother and I. When cancer took her, someone had to step up to the plate (or the stove in this instance) and feed the family. Since my mother didn’t cook, the job fell to me and I took to it immediately as it appealed to both the right (analytical in following recipes) and left (creative) sides of my brain.

At 8 years of age, I couldn’t even reach the sink. I was always small for my age. My parents had to have a box built which I would drag around the kitchen in order to reach the sink, reach the cabinets or see the top of the stove. Of course, I still am rather tiny, according to Pat. He lovingly calls me a midget because at 6 foot 1 inch, he is a head taller than my 5 foot 1 inch frame.

My aunt loved to cook and often shared her recipes and the fruits of her labors. Some of my happiest memories throughout much of my life were times spent at her house and in her kitchen. There was always an abundance of food, lovingly prepared to feed those who came through her doors. If anyone ever left her house hungry, it was his or her own fault. More often than not they would leave with an extremely full belly.

With my aunt as a role model, I quickly became adept at the art of cooking, and, by extension, filling those that I loved and cared for full of food that was lovingly prepared just for them.

I’ve always been a firm believer that anyone can learn to cook. I’m sure you have had people tell you that they “can’t even boil water”. If anyone tells me that, they will get a “look”. After all, you know that is not true … you put water in a pan and turn on the burner and it will eventually come to a boil. Since they CAN boil water, they can also make hard-boiled eggs, spaghetti and any number of other foods that need to be boiled to be prepared.

It doesn’t matter if a person is “right brained” or “left brained”, cooking can appeal to one or both sides of the brain. Recipes are made to follow step by step, but a more artistic approach can be added to create something a bit different from the same recipe (something I do all the time). The hardest thing about cooking is the timing … making sure everything comes done about the same time … and it can only be learned with practice.

Unfortunately even the best cooks seem to have off days. I seem to be having an off WEEK. I barbecued pork steaks (inch thick ones) on Monday and made fried chicken on Tuesday, both weren’t quite done in the center. The pork stir-fry (using a left-over DONE pork steak) that I did on Wednesday turned out great. However, I’ve been later and later with meals all week. I don’t know if it is the time change or what, but I don’t seem to have lunch on the table until late these days. I guess even if you do something for 43 years, you still sometimes get your “timing” off.

Still, it doesn’t matter if you are a man or a woman … despite any set-backs … everyone CAN cook, if they want to do so. After all, look at all the great chefs that are men and all you have to do is turn on the TV to find any number of cooking shows hosted by both men and women. There is no gender bias in cooking.

I’m not sure about men, but I have a feeling that most women who cook do so for more than just to eat. I read a recent study that discovered the fact that women think about food more than they do about sex. I doubt the same can be said of men. I heard Rachel Ray say on one of her shows that a woman cooks to nurture and to show her love. I know from personal experience that that is very true.

Pat has been the recipient of my love for him and my love for cooking over the past year. It shows a bit, but while it worries him, it makes me feel like he has been enjoying my cooking and, by extension, my love. I love every inch of him and still think he is sexy and a handsome man. Still, if he wants to lose weight, I’ll do my best to support and help him … like try to drag him out on some walks and cut back on the pasta (his favorite). I will also work on my timing, so we have more time together before he has to leave for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment