Thursday, March 5, 2009

It's been a wearying Wednesday.

Once again, I'm tired, or, better yet, exhausted. I try to "save" Wednesday night and not load it up with chores. I do this so I'm not completely wiped out come Friday when Pat is off. Monday night is errands and laundry; Tuesday is Ebay; Thursday is "cleaning day" and usually more laundry; and Friday-Sunday nights are for Pat. That only leaves me Wednesday night to relax.

Now, before I go on, I don't want anyone to get me wrong. I'm NOT complaining. A lot of the chores I did tonight were chores that I did out of love ... like the cherry pie I baked. I didn't HAVE to do it, but it is one of Pat's favorite pies. I made it so that Pat would have a slice each day (call it a slice of love) to take to work with him in his lunchbox. I also made more suet for my feathered and furred friends. Oh, and by the way, I've got a tip for you there ... don't make it at midnight when you are tired. I had to clean up a mess on the stove afterward (for the second time of the day).

Living in the country (or the city for that matter) there is a list of chores that have to be done every day, no matter what day it is. There is wood to be brought in and the woodburner to keep going. There are meals to prepare and a kitchen to clean. Beds have to be made and animals taken care of, not to mention our Ebay which is pretty much a 7 day a week job, even if we try to end all our auctions on the weekend.

Still I try to keep my "extra" chores down on Wednesday to just a few that I haven't had time for the rest of the week. Unfortunately, this was one of those Wednesdays when I couldn't keep the chores down to anything approaching a "minimum". In matter of fact, I actually had to make a LIST! Believe me, making a list is something that I rarely, if ever do.

My chores tonight started around 3:30 ... right after I waved Pat out of the driveway on his way to work. I took the scraps out to the compost pile. While I was there, I did a bit of searching up the hill for the still missing suet feeder (no luck). I then cleaned out the woodburner and threw a couple more logs on to keep it going. While it got up to almost 60 today, tonight promises to be a bit too cool to let the fire go out. I then grabbed the wheelburrow and headed for the woodpile to bring in some wood. That complete, I headed to the back porch to clean it off. The leaves had been piling up and we spotted a waterbug in the house today.

With most of the outside chores on my list done, I puttered around a bit ... pulling a few weeds that were already coming up in our flower beds. I checked all the tulips, daffodils and crocus to see how they were coming up. I pulled out some of my planters that I had put next to the house in hopes the roots would at least survive and threw some water on them. I pulled the tops off last year's hollyhocks that I had planted around one of our trees and spread some of the seeds around the other trees. I even peeked in the well house to see how our banana tree was doing. Can you tell that I can't wait for spring?

There was still some daylight left, so I took a short break to sit on the rocking chair on the front porch, sip on my soda and watch the birds come in for their last meal of the night. That lasted about 15 minutes.

I went to the shed to get some ribs and pork steaks out of the freezer for Thursday and Friday and closed the shed up for the night. Then it was into the house to get some of my inside chores done ... Ebay, laundry, and cherry pie. I also had to find out where the heck our modem was ... so much for it being here on Monday. I called Hughes today and was told that it had been shipped three or four days ago. Yeah, right. It wasn't even shipped until Tuesday! Hughes!

Before it got too dark, I went out to get the bird feeder in. It seems my bandit did some damage to it last night, which I had to do a quick repair on this morning. I threw some birdseed on the ground for him and there is still some suet he can get, but I'm not letting him tear up the bird feeder. He's adorable, but I can't allow him to tear anything up or Pat might just go after him with the shotgun.

I made the bed, baked the cherry pie, cleaned the stove, did the laundry, cleaned the oven (the cherry pie made a mess), washed the dishes, made the suet, and cleaned the stove again. I did take some breaks and took time to eat, even so I still haven't got my shower.

I had hoped to put the chicken on to marinade for tomorrow, but that is just going to have to wait until I get up in the morning. It promises to be up in the 60s tomorrow and I'm not wasting a nice warm day cooking inside. I'll barbecue.

At least tomorrow is a "light" cleaning day. I did my "heavy" cleaning last week, so a spit and a lick ought to do it ... although I really should do those windows and the sliding glass door that I put off last week when I went wandering through the woods (sighhhhh).

No comments:

Post a Comment